The Municipal Theater “Kefalos” is located in the center of Argostoli and is built on the same site of the old theater that was inaugurated in 1859 with “Traviata” by Giuseppe Verdi, but which was destroyed by bombing in World War II.< During the 19th century, the theater hosted fine Italian melodramas and works by Greek authors with great success. Today, in the modern and spacious theater, theatrical performances, dance and music events as well as conferences are organized. In winter it also functions as a cinema. Exhibitions with works, mainly by Kefalonian artists, are hosted on the ground floor.
The neoclassical architecture of the building is a typical example of the island’s architecture.